Spring has sprung and Easter is just a week away. It might be the furthest thing from your mind right now, but while staying cooped up at home, you might as well get creative and start your Easter decoration. These fuzzy pom pom bunnies make for some great family fun time and can be easily done with supplies that you find at home.
What you need:
- yarn in a color of your choice
- crafting paper or felt in two colors
- cotton tuft
- circular items (cups, lids etc.) to trace the templates
- Use a cup to trace two circles onto the cardboard. Use a lid to trace smaller circles inside. The outer circle determines the diameter of your bunny´s body. Cut out around the larger circles. Then snip a slit to cut away the center. Repeat with two smaller circles for the head.
2. Lace the two rings of the same size on top of each other and start wrapping yarn around them. Make sure to hold the yarn in place, so it doesn´t slip off the end of the cardboard ring. Work your way around the entire disc until it is plump and the center is nearly filled in.
3. Snip through the wrapped yarn all around the edge of the disc. Be careful not to let the cut pieces slip out through the opening. Tie some yarn tightly around the middle of the two discs, fix it with a double knot and leave some yarn ends hanging. Pull away the cardboard ring.
4. Fluff out your pom pom and trim the ends that stick out to give it a more even shape. Repeat the steps for a second pom pom for the head.
5. Use the long ends to tie your two pom poms together to create the bunny. Decorate your bunny with felt or paper ears, a heart shaped nose, paper whiskers and a cotton tail. Once you´ve got the hang of it, you can create a whole family of bunnies and put them in a nicely assembled Easter nest.
Text and photos: Cindy Bleser